Monday, July 22, 2013

Dark Side of the Wall

On Thursday I posted some of the dilemmas we are having choosing a paint color for our front room.

Although paint isn't a crazy expensive update, repainting the same room over and over adds up. 

And well, as much as my husband loves a DIY project, repainting isn't his fave. 

*As an update to the previous post on Thursday, I forgot to mention that between the original gray and current grayish/blue we painted an off white. Big fail. The room doesn't get a ton of light, so the white looked dingy and dirty, like the original gray did. 

So we spent the weekend looking at some inspiration online, making a list of colors we want to pick up samples of, and going back and forth on whether we want to go dark or a rich neutral.  

In the end we felt like what was holding us back on making a final decision was being scared of painting it dark; and then going to sell one day and having the color be a issue. 

But then we were like wait a minute.

Who's house is this?

Ours!

Who lives here?

We do!

Whose actually buying the paint and doing the grunt work?

Gosh darn it, we are! 

(Think Mighty Ducks pep talk.)

So we are going in the direction of a dark color.

We will still pick up a few neutrals just to cover our bases, but we are really feeling the dark side vibe. 

Here are some inspiration pictures we found and love.








Since we pretty much literally have no furniture in that room, we feel that a dark neutral fits with our vision for the room. We're thinking lots of natural wood furniture, gray/white upholstery, and of course some great metallic and color thrown in. 

I'm working on learning to make a design board (how do I not know how to do that yet?) so once I get that completely figured out I'll share. :)






Pin It

10 comments:

  1. YES. Beautiful inspiration. You are doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan of the first dark wall picture! Go bold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Julia!!
    Check out Abigail Ahern, interiors designer extrordinare from the UK - http://abigailahern.wordpress.com/
    She pretty much converts you to the dark side with her gorgeous designs! She paints floors, shelves, walls and ceilings dark to make all you're 'stuff' look glam. Brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am ALL for a dark room! I think it looks so chic, and girl I know you know how to accessorize a room to a T! Can't wait to see updated photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dark side! I wish I had the guts to try this out. I started painting my little half bath all black, then went the other direction. I think I may do it now that I saw this. Who lives here? Me! And well, my husband and three kids, but they don't get to make the final decorating decisions....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of black walls. David Bromstad did one of his shows where he painted a bedroom black. even the ceiling. He had a very wide crown molding in white to set it off. Then he added a lot of lights and antiqued mirrors behind the nightstands. It was crazy gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya know what?! You're absolutely right!! I always second guess myself on paint colors, etc. thinking, "I don't want to damage our chances at selling this place." But you're right, my family lives here and will live here for awhile, it's time to stop living in a sea of tan and add color! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya know what?! You're absolutely right!! I always second guess myself on paint colors, etc. thinking, "I don't want to damage our chances at selling this place." But you're right, my family lives here and will live here for awhile, it's time to stop living in a sea of tan and add color! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny ... I am currently in the same conundrum with my living room. It doesn't get much natural light. I'm dying for a moody dark gray-blue, maybe Sea Serpent or Indigo Batik by Sherwin Williams. I recently painted my powder room a coal color, and it made the tiny, boring space much more interesting. After that, I posted about 5 reasons why dark walls work. I totally agree with you -- in a room with little natural light, a white or light color will always look dingy.

    http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2013/07/5-reasons-why-dark-walls-work.html

    Our current living room color is a nice greige, but I need a change in that room. Just have to convince my husband that even though we plan to list the house in a couple years, it's the right decision to make for us NOW. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Painting walls a dark color after having it in light or neutral for so long can be quite daunting, but like you said, it's only the fear holding you back from making the final decision. Whether it's light, neutral, dark or vibrant colors, it's all about what you want the room to exude and how well you decorate accordingly. That said, I look forward to seeing the reveal. -Leeanne @ Master My List

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!