Wednesday, August 14, 2013

the little black dresser: a tribute to barb blair

Dear Barb,

So we've never officially met, and to be honest I think I've commented on your blog twice, well maybe three times, but I wanted to let you know that I think you are phenomenal. Seriously. Phenomenal.

As they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and since I am always so inspired by you, I finally decided to do a piece that was inspired by you.

When I found this hi-boy, I knew it was the perfect candidate. The oversized wood knobs, the lines, the legs made me feel like maybe, I could attempt to be like you.

I wanted to merge chippy, rugged, and a little masculine, with femininity. I was thinking it like high fashion when you mix a little black dress, maybe with a little leather on it, with a string of pearls or diamond earrings. (Like this, or this.)












So Barb, I'm naming this piece, well Barb. Thank you for your awesome talent. You are one of my favorites. :)

PS My middle name is Barbara. ;)

PPS If you don't know Barb's blog check her out HERE.

PPPS: If you want to know how to get this look click HERE for a full tutorial. 

This piece has sold.


Pin It

19 comments:

  1. LOVE this! and love barb and am lucky enough to know her in real life! :) she's just as amazing if not more so in person. a true spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the merging of little black dress and soft, worn leather! Beautiful piece, and I'm also a lurker on Barb's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, because you, and Barb, and Cassie are three of my all time favorites too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb does phenomenal work! and.....so do you! This piece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah.May.Zing. Love it and I think it's very Barb-worthy! She inspires a lot of us all over the globe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ann Marie's work, Cassie's, and Barb was one of the first people I ever talked to in the blogging world! Love it too, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the patina of this. So warm and rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS PIECE.....
    Do you mind if I ask, what kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Lamp Black from General Finishes. :)

      Delete
    2. THANKS,
      I was thinking Milk Paint
      I love the finish, I'm not quite sure I know how
      you did this finish

      Delete
    3. I have post on Monday for a "tutorial" on getting the finish so watch for it! :)

      Delete
    4. I def will
      I'm excited, thanks for letting us know

      Delete
  9. Love this one Julia! It looks so elegant and perfectly worn in. And I can see it working out great in so many different styles of rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful--even my 8 year old commented on it! Warm and inviting. Perfect.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing at my party. I am featuring tomorrow! Love this dresser, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Barb! (The dressers that is) I love the distressed look. Great job! Thanks for sharing. Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Party's up over at DIY Vintage Chic. Link up this post! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-5.html

      Delete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!