Wednesday, August 14, 2013

the little black dresser: a tribute to barb blair

Dear Barb,

So we've never officially met, and to be honest I think I've commented on your blog twice, well maybe three times, but I wanted to let you know that I think you are phenomenal. Seriously. Phenomenal.

As they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and since I am always so inspired by you, I finally decided to do a piece that was inspired by you.

When I found this hi-boy, I knew it was the perfect candidate. The oversized wood knobs, the lines, the legs made me feel like maybe, I could attempt to be like you.

I wanted to merge chippy, rugged, and a little masculine, with femininity. I was thinking it like high fashion when you mix a little black dress, maybe with a little leather on it, with a string of pearls or diamond earrings. (Like this, or this.)












So Barb, I'm naming this piece, well Barb. Thank you for your awesome talent. You are one of my favorites. :)

PS My middle name is Barbara. ;)

PPS If you don't know Barb's blog check her out HERE.

PPPS: If you want to know how to get this look click HERE for a full tutorial. 

This piece has sold.


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. LOVE this! and love barb and am lucky enough to know her in real life! :) she's just as amazing if not more so in person. a true spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the merging of little black dress and soft, worn leather! Beautiful piece, and I'm also a lurker on Barb's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, because you, and Barb, and Cassie are three of my all time favorites too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb does phenomenal work! and.....so do you! This piece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah.May.Zing. Love it and I think it's very Barb-worthy! She inspires a lot of us all over the globe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ann Marie's work, Cassie's, and Barb was one of the first people I ever talked to in the blogging world! Love it too, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE THIS PIECE.....
    Do you mind if I ask, what kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Lamp Black from General Finishes. :)

      Delete
    2. THANKS,
      I was thinking Milk Paint
      I love the finish, I'm not quite sure I know how
      you did this finish

      Delete
    3. I have post on Monday for a "tutorial" on getting the finish so watch for it! :)

      Delete
    4. I def will
      I'm excited, thanks for letting us know

      Delete
  8. Love this one Julia! It looks so elegant and perfectly worn in. And I can see it working out great in so many different styles of rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful--even my 8 year old commented on it! Warm and inviting. Perfect.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing at my party. I am featuring tomorrow! Love this dresser, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Barb! (The dressers that is) I love the distressed look. Great job! Thanks for sharing. Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Party's up over at DIY Vintage Chic. Link up this post! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-5.html

      Delete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!