Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chair Week Day 2: Retro Burlap


Welcome to day TWO of of Chair Week here at 551 EAST! 

For those of you are just joining the party,  I took on a massive reupholstering project of reupholstering 4 chairs in 5 weeks.

Yesterday I showed you my Ikat French Provincial arm chair.

Click HERE to see it. 

Today I am going to show you my retro, Anthropologie inspired, burlap chair.

Here's the before:



It was retro- but in a short-squatty, I have no legs and look like I belong in a disco way.

And here's the overhaul!






This chair is deep; you can sink back into it, pull your legs up and snuggle. 

And isn't that the best kind of chair. :) 

Since it is such a deep chair, I wanted to make it compatible for any style or color of throw pillow, so I switched from the coral fabric I originally showed you to this faux burlap.

It has a the look of burlap, but it actually is quite soft and much more durable.

The tufted buttons and piping are done with cream canvas.

The chair had no legs when it was given to me, so we added those.

They were purchased from Home Depot and I stained them with Minwax Mission Oak using a sponge brush to achieve the uneven, aged look.

And do you want to know a secret? 

This chair was upholstered as if I was making a slipcover, but not quite. 

It's all stapled to the chair, which means it's not removable for washing, but it doesn't shift or need to be adjusted like most slipcovers.

I wouldn't have been able to do this chair without the amazing sewing skills of my friend Kayla. 

We semi followed some tutorials, but really we made a lot of our own modifications. 

That would be the biggest tip I could give you about reupholstering.

It's important to do your research, but no two chairs are the same so be ready to experiment till you get it right. 

Here are the tutorials I found most helpful for this chair.

Slipcover: Click HERE

Piping: Click HERE and HERE

Legs: Click HERE

(Most of the tutorials I'll be sharing are from other amazing blogs and websites that I followed and found the be the best out there. Because of the tight time frame (and self-induced stress) I was under, I didn't feel like I could give you amazing tutorials and amazing chairs. :))

See you tomorrow!


For more info look under THE SHOP tab at the top of the page.




Pin It

44 comments:

  1. Dying over the legs! You did an AMAZING job on this one!! You are making me want to learn upholstry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally LOVE this chair. The fabric and contrast piping is classic and the style is just plain fun! This would look great is so many rooms (like my bedroom), plus it's deep and comfy - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Love it. So makes me want to try re-upholstery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful transformation!!! I love the legs! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I love the legs you added. This makes me want to finish my chair today. Thanks for the link for the double welting I wasn't sure on how to make that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both chairs are fantastic! I haven't gotten brave enough to tackle a chair yet. You did an amazing job Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beauty! I couldn't imagine what you'd do when I saw that stout red man, but you've made him gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! What else can I say. I LOVE both of these chairs. I love the legs on the burlap one. Great touch!!! Congrats on selling the second chair on the blog so quickly. It is gorgeous, too. I definitely would put either one in my house. You have TALENT! So much of it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You would never know this was the same chair!!! Love, love, love it. Pinning this too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You wouldn't know that was the same chair. Love it all - the legs, the piping and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! The lines on that chair are amazing... and the fabric is smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This chair is fabulous!! Love how it turned out.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great job! It looks so fresh and chic! Love the white piping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful transformation! I love the fabric--it gives the chair such a timeless look. I found you on the Cowgirl Up link party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this one- the pillow is so perfect on it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfection! I absolutely love it! Found you on the Sugar Bee Crafts Link Party. :)

    Jess @ The Delightful Crafter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came over from Primp. This chair went from mangy to majestic! You are one brave woman to tackle this mountain of upholstering!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE this! I'm going to have to check out that faux burlap! Thanks for the tip!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living
    Now following ya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this! I like that you didn't paint the legs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty! I'm in love with all the burlap and canvas furniture makeovers I'm seeing, and yours is no exception. Great job!!

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful transformation and fantastic job. I love the after. Saw you at DIY by Design

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That looks fantastic. Way to go on the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fantastic!!! Great choice in fabric and trim!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Gorgeous! I can't believe how great it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so talented. Oh, I wish I could recover furniture. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. VERY cute!! I love it!! Found you via Embracing Change :)

    http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Saw this on Inspiration Friday and I love this chair and project. Great job!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super cute and I love having the tutorial available. There's a burlap imitation that is softer? Sweet. I'll have to find some of that. Thanks!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it!! I would love for you to come share this tutorial over at the Link up with me, Liz Marie Party on my blog: http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2012/06/link-up-with-me-liz-marie-5/ I know my readers would love to see this makeover.

    Liz Marie
    Lizmarieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks so awesome! I love the chunky legs. And I'm totally diggin' that chevron pillow! Great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this! I love the look of burlap but really like that it is softer! You guys did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is a gorgeous chair!! The legs and fabric are beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, that looks like it could be in a Pottery Barn store for mucho $$$! Awesome reupholstering job and thanks for the tutorials!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Found you on the simply designing link party, this chair is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, what a pretty transformation! Loving the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This chair is awesome! Great job. I love the style of the chair with the burlap.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi! I'm visiting from the Tickled Pink link party. I absolutely LOVE your chair makeover. Great job!

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are a genius, Julia!
    WOW!
    What a fabulous job!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  39. Super good job with the upholstery and fabric choices! LOVE! Found you through Restore Interiors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love retro chairs. Actually I have a retro burlap set at my living room on my condo in philippines and it is color blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. The chair week day at retro Burlap is wonderful. You can have a look at it

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!